Sunday, March 20, 2011

Reorganizing

Laura and I are notoriously unorganized, and in an effort to reduce general stress and increase overall sanity, we went through an organizational effort today (an effort which largely involved a lot of work being dumped on me...).

One task of interest was trying to get our physical files in some semblance of order.  Shortly after moving to Springfield I had sent to us a four drawer high filing cabinet.  Said cabinet had a number of files haphazardly tossed into it, and was left in this state for a number of months.  After that, an effort was undertaken to categorize the files, however the categorization turned out to be less than optimal, most likely since we did not know at that point what categories we would need.  Today I recategorized some of the folders again to meet some of our immediate needs (taxes, house hunting, etc).  

In moving files around I realized a major problem was the fact that I wanted to categorize some of the files under multiple headings.  Since they were physical documents and since I did not want to waste my time copying documents simply to put them in two folders, I started looking into document scanners.  

The Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300, IE, the document scanner I will probably be buying tonight


Ideally I would be able to scan a document, move it to an application like Google Docs, tag it with whatever categories I think are pertinent to describe the document, and also associate with it some information concerning the current physical location of the file if the physical file were to persist.  Of course, I don't really know if the software that comes bundled with whatever scanner I get will actually let me do this, but I have to imagine it would let me do something similar.  

No comments:

Post a Comment